Tel 01387 252603
St Teresas Church Ribbon

Parish History

October 3rd, 1958 was a great day for the Catholic communities of Lincluden, Lochside, Summerhill, Somerville, Sandside, Terregles, Thornhill, Dunscore and Moniaive.

Bishop Joseph McGee of Galloway with Archbishop Gordon Gray of St. Andrew’s and Edinburgh, solemnly opened and dedicated the new Church of St Teresa of Lisieux.

Bishop McGee said at the Church opening, “It is our hope and prayer that the Church of St Teresa may become the centre of a great Christian family, strong in the faith, united in mutual charity and love of God and that here great things may be accomplished for the glory of God and the sanctification of souls.” The expansion of Dumfries in the 1930’s made the opening of a second Catholic Church in the town necessary to supplement the already existing Parish of St Andrew’s in Brooke Street, Dumfries.

Canon O’Sullivan, the Parish Priest of St Andrew’s, bought the land for a Church in Glasgow Street, north west of the river Nith, but the coming of the Second World War postponed the start of any building and it was not until the 1950’s that the Diocese was able to proceed.

With the opening of St Teresa’s Primary School in 1964, the identity of the Parish was complete. The new Parish was entrusted to Fr Francis Duffy and his assistant Fr Denis Quinlan.

The following Priests have served our parish community:

PARISH PRIESTS

The years following each priests’ name are the years they served at St Teresa’s

Monsignor Francis Duffy 1958-1972
RIP   25th November 2000

Father John Walsh 1972-1982
RIP   24th November 2009

Canon Sam McGinness 1982-1985
RIP   9th February 2009

Canon Pat McSorley 1985-1997
Presently living in Troon in retirement helping out in the diocese where he can.

Canon John Walls 1997-2010
RIP 28th February 2010

Father Jim Hayes 2010-Present

ASSISTANT PRIESTS

Canon Denis Quinlan 1958-1972

RIP 21st July 2015

Father Tom McCann 1962-1972
RIP   8th April 2009

Father James McHugh 1959-1962
RIP

Canon Archibald Brown 1972-1975

Father William Murray 1975-1978

Father John Kinsler 1977-1979

Father Stanislaus Harbison 1974-1975

Father John Quinn 1978-1979

Father Michael Reddan S.D.S. 1979-1980

Father Charles Duffin

Monsignor Peter Magee 1982-1984

Father Douglas Hutchison 1985-1987

Father John McLean 1987-1989

Father George Thompson 1989-1993

RIP 23rd December 2016

Father Gerald Donnelly 1995-1997

Father Stephen Latham1997-1999

The years each of our priests served us would be a great help to our archive.


Please email any knowledge/corrections you may have to priest@stteresaschurch.com
Thank you.